Trend: Orange Lip
With winter almost over, I’m getting anxious and excited to try out the bold orange hue for Spring/Summer. It might seem intimidating, but orange lipstick is actually not that hard to pull off, it just depends how you wear it! From sheer coral to light apricot-esque shades, you can wear the trend but still stay within your comfort zone. Or, you can always go full out and go with opaque neon orange. Here are my my top picks for orange-toned lip products (in order of how pigmented they are) below!
1. Maybelline Baby Lips in Oh! Orange– If you’re intimidated by the brighter oranges but still want to try out the trend, go for this! It’s a sheer tinted lip balm that leaves a glossy subtle coral finish.
2. NARS Velvet Lip Pencil in Happy Days– This shade is ideal for everyday (and if you want more of the DKNY lip below). It’s more pigmented than a lip balm but the colour is really natural and wearable. And you can apply it straight from the chubby stick with minimal blending or blotting.
3. Maybelline Color Whisper in Orange Attitude– It looks bright and pigmented in the tube, but it’s actually very sheer! If you want to go milder, just dab on the product and blend into your lips using your ring finger.
4. OCC Lip Tar Stained Gloss in Androgyne- I think this is one of the most versatile orange lip products. You can use it so many different ways and build up the pigmentation in layers if you want a bolder look. So if you’re shy with the trend but think you can go bolder one day, reach for this. It’s also great for mixing in to other lipsticks and glosses to add a more orange tint. And, a tube of OCC lip tar goes a long way.
5. Stila Stay All Day Lipstick in Carina– This liquid lipstick is not a joke (one time I wore it and spent the rest of the day taking it off). But the pigmentation is amazing with this product, it almost applies like a thicker, gel-like lip cream instead of a liquid lipstick. If you’re into the bold orange lip (see Rag & Bone below) then definitely give this one a try.
Let me know if any of you have tried the orange lip trend!
Rag & Bone, S/S 2014 (courtesy of Google Images)
DKNY, S/S 2014 (courtesy of Google images)